How to make Kaimati - Sweet Dumplings
This is one of the most famous delicacies of the Coast of Kenya. They are mostly prepared during the Holy month of Ramadhan, but can also be bought from the street vendors and kiosks.
It is an interesting and delicious snack that can be taken as a dessert with coffee, or in the morning as breakfast.
- 1 cup plain white floor
- ½ cup natural plain yoghurt(Optional)
- A ½ cup of milk or water
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Oil or butter for frying
Ingredients for the Sugar Syrup
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. powdered cardamom
Method for the sugar syrup
- Mix 1 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 tsp powdered cardamom
- Boil the mixture and let it cool thoroughly.
Method for preparing the Kaimati
- Add all the ingredients and mix well till the mixture become sticky. Use your hands to beat the mixture.
- Cover the mixture/dough and let it rise for at least 1 hour. The dough will be risen and doubled in size.
- Put enough oil in a fryer or a huge frying pan for deep frying
- Shape the dumplings into small balls and drop it into the oil. Turn and stir for about 4-5 minutes until they are all golden brown. (Tip: avoid overcrowding your pan).
- Remove with a slotted spoon, shake off excess oil, then drop them into the sugar syrup.
- Your Kamati is now ready to serve. Serve with tea or Kahawa chungu(Coffee)